When the time across the different computers that you use does not match, you will receive a message stating: “Your machine date and time is out of sync with your SI server date and time. We cannot sync server projects till this problem is corrected.” The question that we are often asked is, how do I fix this? The answer is often not simple as change the time, as it depends on the Windows Operating System, and more importantly, if you have the permission to change the time.
1. The first step is to check which machine has the incorrect time. The easiest way to accomplish this is by comparing the time on your cell phone against the time on each computer.
2. Once you locate the computer that has the incorrect time, there are two possible solutions.
Short Term Solution: Manually adjust the time to match the time on the other machines.
Long Term Solution: Set the time to sync with the Internet time. We recommend this solution.
3. First, let’s try adjusting to the Internet Time.
The “General” directions are:
- Open Date and Time by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Date and Time.
- Click the Internet Time tab, and then click Change settings.
- Click Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server, select a time server, and then click OK.
Here are the specific instructions for each commonly used operating system:
4. If you don’t have the “Internet Time” as shown on the image below, or if you cannot change the time manually, this likely means you are on a domain environment and this is managed by your IT administrator. In this case, you will need to submit a support ticket for your IT support. In the meantime, a solution is to change the time on your own machine to be the same as on the machine that the time cannot be changed. This will momentarily fix the problem and you can resume your work while your IT team fixes this for your organization.
The image below shows a “Date and Time” with the Internet Time option available. If this is your case, you can sync with the internet time and this will prevent this problem from happening again.
The image below shows a “Date and Time” with the Internet Time option not available. If this is your case, manually change the time so you can resume your work and submit a support ticket to your IT support organization so they can sync the time for you.